Boulder, CO | Engineering | Full-Time Exempt
General Position Summary
The Industrial Designer is responsible for designing products using computer-aided design (CAD) software. Primary proficiency in SOLIDWORKS® is expected, but AutoCAD® experience is helpful. You will design products and create and test prototypes. Since our product cycles are short and the need for creativity high, you will need competence in manufacturing and demonstrable experience interfacing with construction and manufacturing teams building our products. You will work in advanced product design, creating 3D solid models for engineering and photo-realistic simulations to support sales and business development activity. With a deep interaction with our clients, you will prepare layouts, detail drawings, assembly drawings, sketches, diagrams, and manufacturing documents as necessary to support product customization. You should be able to create properly developed 3D models and fabrication drawings in accordance with established standards. A strong creative design and mechanical aptitude necessary. You will be both a key member of our product development team and interact with internal engineering and our clients.
Essential Job Functions
The following represents a representative sample of essential functions and responsibilities for the position. This list is not exhaustive, and additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required by the position and business.
- Understands time requirements to prepare computer-assisted design/drafting (SOLIDWORKS®, and AutoCAD® a plus) equipment and software.
- Creates and revises production/fabrication drawings (detail and assembly) for approval by the engineer of record.
- Transforms design concepts into full fabrication set drawings.
- Competently uses product data management (PDM) software to manage product data and process-related information, and fully capable of working in new product configuration space
- Creates product definition and drawings in both 2- and 3-dimensional form, checking dimension of parts, materials to be used, relation of one part to another, and relation of various parts to whole structure or project.
- Sketches rough layout of equipment and/or machine and computes angles, weights, surface areas, dimensions, radii, clearances, tolerances, leverages, and locations of holes.
- Creates finished engineering design documents and bill of materials for approval by the engineer of record.
- Drafts detailed multi-view drawings and/or illustrations of equipment/machine and products.
- Communicates, coordinates and collaborates with quality assurance (QA), engineering and manufacturing/tooling on new and revised prints.
- Consults and collaborates with other engineers to understand instructions and answer questions.
- Develops and improves company-wide CAD standards and drawing set templates.
- Creates detailed design documentation, including assuring all designs and drawings follow a complete QA and Quality Control Processes and requirements.
- Reviews and redlines drawing sets completed by others.
- Produces final design specifications and aids in the selection of materials for products.
- Abilities to work independently, including estimating time and costs required to complete projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Significant personal initiative, decision-making and leadership. Incumbent must be capable of working autonomously and without significant direct supervision.
- Significant demonstrated capabilities in time management and organizational skills required.
- Exceptional communication skills, team player and contributor required.
- Excellent communication proficiency (both written and oral) required to work with many others of different backgrounds and perspectives.
- Demonstrated technical capacity, history of learning proficiency and significant intellectual curiosity are preferred competencies.
- Strong customer/client focus required.
- Significant technical capability and agility required.
- Ability to work with internal engineers, CAD technicians and industrial designers in addition to external suppliers and fabricators required.
- Strong SOLIDWORKS® competence required.
- AutoCAD competence is a plus.
- Strong collaboration and problem-solving skills required.
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) experience required.
- Photo-simulation and rendering portfolio desired.
- Advanced SOLIDWORKS Certifications (CSWA) required.
- Sheet metal certification is a plus.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Industrial Design.,
- 5-7 years of relevant technical experience in fast-moving product development environment
- 3+ years in designing for manufacturing