Senior Structural Engineer, P.E.
Boulder, CO | Engineering | Full-Time Exempt
General Position Summary
Comptek Technologies is seeking an energetic Senior Structural Engineer, P.E. who enjoys solving problems, collaborating with other engineers, and communicating with others in a company that values innovative solutions. The position offers strong career growth opportunities for the right individual who works well in a team environment and enjoys leadership of projects and people. The position requires strong technical skills in structural analysis and design and foundation engineering. Experience in vertical infrastructure for the wireless industry a plus. You will be directly engaged in training internal and external engineers in company’s engineered systems and supporting installers with questions that arise on sites nationwide.
Essential Job Functions
The following represents a representative sample of essential functions and responsibilities for the position. This list is not exhaustive, and additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required by the position and business
- Provide senior technical leadership and manage a structural engineering team with primary responsibility as Project Engineer on new projects.
- Work closely the CAD technicians to assure designs are effectively communicated for review and fabrication.
- Oversees and perform structural analysis and design and foundation engineering for modifications and new smart infrastructure.
- Proficiently plans, schedules and manages personnel and structural engineering for projects.
- Laisse with and leads communications with clients, managing and tracking project progress.
- Manages project budget and timeline, while overseeing deliverable completion, to ensure delivery of projects on schedule and within budget
- Provides guidance and feedback to engineers and other team members completing structural calculations for projects.
- Takes initiative and proactively fixes issues before they create problems.
- Leads and works on complex assignments requiring independent action and a high degree of initiative to resolve issues, determining methods and procedures on new assignments.
- Identifies and resolves new or unique problems using analysis of facts and/or previous solutions.
- Resolves complex issues which have been escalated by other members of the team.
- Drives quality processes with engineering staff that result in clear design documents.
- Prepares and presents technical proposals and reports to clients.
- Oversees structural engineering work developing designs using computer-assisted design/drafting (SOLIDWORKS® preferred, and AutoCAD® a plus) equipment and software.
- Uses product data management (PDM) software to manage product data and process-related information, and fully capable of working in new product configuration space
- Utilizes knowledge of various machines, engineering practices, mathematics, building materials, and other physical sciences to complete designs and drawings.
- Reviews and redlines drawing sets completed by others.
- Works independently, including estimating time and costs required to complete project.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Significant personal initiative required
- Excellent Design and Computer Software abilities, including CAD software (i.e., AutoCAD® and SOLIDWORKS®) preferred
- High proficiency in Finite element method (FEM) modeling required
- Team building skills with clients, vendors and internal staff required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Ability to manage multiple projects and coordinate work of engineers required
- Solid knowledge and working experience in steel structural design required
Education and Experience
- BSCE degree in Civil (Structural) Engineering required
- MSCE degree a plus
- Licensed Professional (PE) with minimum of 8 years’ experience in structural engineering required
- Licensed Structural Engineer (SE) a plus
- Experience in structural engineering of wireless telecom small cell poles or light poles preferred
- Experience in working closely with contractors and resolving field related issues preferred
- Experience in preparing project estimates and engineering project management required
- Prior experience in writing proposals and presentations a plus