Vice President of Engineering
Boulder, CO | Engineering | Full-Time
General Position Summary
The Vice President of Engineering is responsible for leading and managing a multi-disciplined team of engineers, scientists and technicians who design, manufacture and install telecommunications infrastructure and related equipment in a dynamic, fast moving environment. The Vice President requires strong management skills and an equal commitment to growing the company. The Vice President is also responsible for orchestrating all aspects of engineering activities within the Comptek Technologies (Comptek) engineering department and must be multidiscipline. This includes but is not limited to:
- Mechanical Engineering and Design, with specific sub-disciplines in Environmental Control,
- Electrical Engineering and Design, with specific sub-disciplines in Power Distribution and RF,
- Structural Analysis, with specific emphasis on application of TIA and AASHTO,
- Product Verification and Validation, including Testing (Static, Dynamic, and Environmental), and
- Document Management and Control.
The position requires interfacing with customers and other external stakeholders on business development, field operations and engineering matters. The Vice President ensures all engineering projects, initiatives and processes are in conformance with organization’s established plans, policies, objectives, and strategies. This requires demonstrated expertise in a variety of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures, and extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. The position also requires operating with significant autonomy on key strategic initiatives. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected, as is innovation and quality leadership in product, technology, and process. The position further requires strong awareness and experience developing and deploying engineering systems related to product lifecycle management and related tools and methods, and engineering design and simulation methods.
Essential Job Functions
The following represents a representative sample of essential functions and responsibilities for the position. This list is not exhaustive, and additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required by the position and business.
- Manage and direct the engineering and certification functions primarily responsible for executing efficiently and effectively the Comptek new product introduction (NPI) process. This process enables Comptek to meet the dynamic needs of a wide variety of customers with industry leading solutions.
- Responsible for the P&L of the company’s engineering activities, on both the project level and department level.
- Lead and direct the work of the Engineering Department staff of and participate in senior level engineering functions.
- Collaborate and coordinate effectively with management leads of production, operations, quality assurance, testing, and/or contractors to achieve assigned objectives.
- Build and maintain, through knowledge, an effective working relationship with regulators and auditors, internal and external.
- Direct, work with, and/or collaborate with associated management and technical leadership to:
- Oversee research and development schedule and budgets related to new products and procedures.
- Schedule and prioritize engineering work to support overall project schedules to meet customer and production deadlines.
- Lead hiring and professional development of engineers and support staff.
- Accomplish engineering performance reviews.
- Continuously improve Actual Utilization and Productivity of engineers with respect to Budgeted Utilization and Productivity
- Support engineering staff with approvals of project specifications.
- Establish quarterly plan to accomplish goals.
- Approve expenditures.
- Participate in the review of contracts to establish engineering fee structure.
- Working with the company’s engineered product estimating team, provide costs for engineering.
- Support sales team with proposal and technical reports for customers.
- Support our manufacturing engineers with process improvements.
- Oversee and implement company quality control processes to assure technical accuracy of engineering and CAD work.
- Establish and maintain administrative policies, procedures and standards assuring the department is measuring its progress and continually improving.
- Coordinate activities of engineering department with internal company business units or external organizations.
- Confer with senior management as needed.
- Construct, implement, and monitor all operations and key performance metrics/operational efficiency for the engineering team.
- Further develop and operationalize standards and procedures to ensure design and engineering quality standards are met and maintained.
- Manage and optimize engineering budget to meet goals.
- Understand and collaborate with the Executive/Management Team on the complete product lifecycle from concept to execution.
- Recommend new technology and ideas to improve sprints and efficiency, working with the CEO and CTO.
- Build, develop and manage the engineering team capable of carrying out initiatives.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the CEO.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Computer Skills
- Microsoft Office
- Fishbowl Time
- MS Teams
- MS SharePoint
- MS Project
- Codes and Standards
- Civil Infrastructure: TIA and AASHTO
- Electrical Infrastructure: NEC/NESC
- Telecom Infrastructure: Telcordia GR-487
- Applicable Industrial Codes
- Quality Management, CIP Systems and Test Methods
- ISO 9001/AS9100/ISO13485/IATF16945
- GR-487/Mil-Std-810/AEC Q100/AEC Q200
- Highly effective communicator
- Ability to manage, engender trust, communicate, coach, empower, and motivate people
- Willing to participate on industry boards and committees to establish leadership presence in industry
- Self-motivated, able to prioritize, good organizational skills, seeks feedback, aware of self
- Previous experience working in an ISO certified company a plus
Education and Experience
- BS in Mechanical
- MS in a related technical field
- MBA a plus
- 10 years of management and leadership experience in product development applications and qualification experience
- Minimum 5 years of telecom infrastructure experience