Senior Mechanical Engineer
Aurora, CO | Engineering | Full-Time
General Position Summary
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is the highest level non-managerial role within the company. While often an individual contributor, s/he may perform as the project engineer, leading the efforts of other technical team members in the development of new products. The Senior Engineer serves as a key staff resource for the Director of Mechanical Engineering, and a source of expertise for the rest of the company. A skilled practitioner, s/he uses and follows best practices when available, and exceptional judgement when working in new and unfamiliar technical areas.
S/he for developing product design suitable for manufacturing, testing, installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of the equipment developed. As a senior peer, the Senior Mechanical Engineer may be asked to check the work of other colleagues. When developing new products, s/he may have to perform a requirements analysis, assuring all the requisite features are incorporated into the design. S/he may work within a systems engineering framework, systematically identifying customer, code, jurisdictional, and derivative requirements are addressed. S/he will have product manufacturing knowledge and experience, and will be comfortable working operators an technicians charged with building his/her designs.
As a senior technical resource, the Senior Mechanical Engineering will have a history of professional and personal development behind them. Recognizing the importance of skill acquisition in the ability to generate personal and professional value, s/he will have demonstrated a history of acquiring and developing new skills and competencies. Most importantly., S/he will have contributed to the competencies and capabilities of their employers and colleagues. This collaborative learning may have come in the form of developing a portfolio of patents, or training new skills, or by participating with other team members in the creation of new concepts and ideas.
As a member of a multi-disciplined team, the Senior Mechanical Engineer can recognize when to contribute his/her unique set of skills and abilities, and when to seek the input of other knowledgeable specialists and colleagues. S/he is willing and capable of learning new capabilities and skills as required to meet the needs of new projects or corporate opportunities. This is possible because s/he has a deep and rich set of education and experience to permit him/her to have a good technical understanding of the product and its use. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will have expertise in one or more disciplines including, but are not limited to, (1) simple structural design with continuous and discrete attachments, (2) mechanism specification and development, (3) environmental engineering, with a particular emphasis on heat and mass transfer, (4) controls development, with a particular emphasis on specification, implementation and management of programmable logic controllers (PLCs), (5) product qualification and validation processes with a particular emphasis the role analysis, testing, and field qualification practices, (6) significant and varied materials and process expertise including metallics, non-metallics, and composite materials. While s/he may be specialized in one area, they will have demonstrated experience and competency in more than one.
As a senior technical professional in a rapidly growing organization, s/he will have the ability to work effectively on a wide range of relevant domains beyond the pure technical aspects of leading a specific effort or project. For example, with an emphasis on collaboration, s/he will be a member of a larger team charged with assuring a product development effort meets its objectives in a timely and cost-effective manner. This requires the Senior Mechanical Engineer to have the ability to plan, organize, staff, direct and control a project and its related activities. In this responsibility, s/he will be responsible for leading qualified employees in their efforts on the project.
Beyond the necessary technical experience and education, the Senior Mechanical Engineering position is expected to manage significant creative aspects of the design and development process. This requires excellent communication, problem-solving, and organizational skills, and very high emotional IQ.
Essential Job Functions
1. This position is a focal point for reviewing and analyzing requirements, synthesizing design approaches, and implementing those approaches using industry and company standards and methods to mee the organization’s objectives. In conducting these responsibilities, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will may perform many or more of the following activities in successfully supporting legacy products and launching new ones.
2. In performing project responsibilities, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will:
3. Creatively establish technical approach to unique problems presented by customer requirements
4. Support and participate in a culture of service and action within the mechanical engineering team .
5. Support a safe working environment and product performance·
6. Perform administrative functions such as evaluating and writing reports, securing approval on expenditures concerning projects, and assuring timesheets and related hourly expenses are tracked.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrable experience using or managing PLM/PDM systems
- Demonstrable experience working in a multi-disciplined engineering team, with minimum composition of mechanical and electrical proficiencies
- Demonstrable experience working with 3D design systems, with preference for Dassault systems CATIA/SOLIDWORKS® products in a production environment
- Demonstrable experience working in an MRP I/II/ERP environment
- PE License is strongly desired
- Experience in varied organizational size (i.e., large, and small) high desired
- Computer Skills/Equipment: SOLIDWORKS®, CFD SOLIDWORKS® Flow Simulation, MS Office, MS SharePoint, MS Teams
- Ability travel for short durations up to 25% of time
- Education: BS in Mechanical Engineering or related/complimentary discipline, with an MS in a complimentary field such as mechanical, electrical/electronics, materials, or physics
- Experience: Minimum of 10 years of experience in product development developing new products and sustaining legacy products within an engineering/manufacturing company, preferably in the wireless or telecom industry